ASTM Steel Standards Structure
Online Course with e-Instructor Support
This course is instructionally designed for all individuals who work with steels, work with ASTM steel standards, or those who simply want to learn more about ASTM Steel Standards.
Online lessons are available for six months from the date of registration.
Learning Outcomes [+]
Participants who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- identify and apply ASTM standard steel terminology;
- discuss the functions of ASTM specifications;
- describe the ASTM standard designation system;
- recall the ASTM steel specification sections; and
- apply the ASTM technical data (property) requirements to ordering steel products.
Who Should Attend
This e-learning course is designed for inspectors, QA/QC personnel, engineers, tradespeople, and others working for plant owners, pressure equipment manufactures and repair organizations, engineering procurement and construction companies in oil and gas industries (oilfield, upgraders, refineries, etc.), automotive plants, chemical plants, petroleum refining, petrochemical plants, power plants, pulp and paper plants, fertilizer plants, and others.
Course Outline [+]
The following topics are covered in this course:
Introduction to ASTM Steel Standards Structure
Types of ASTM Standards
- ASTM standard designation system
- ASTM standard year date
- ASTM grade designations
Types of ASTM Steel Specifications
- product specification
- general requirements specification
ASTM Steel Specification Sections
- scope, referenced documents, and terminology
- ordering information
- technical data
- materials and manufacture
- chemical composition
- physical properties and mechanical properties
- pressure test requirements
- nondestructive test requirements
- dimensions, mass, and permissible variations
- workmanship and rework
- inspection, rejection, and rehearing
- certification, product identification, and marking
- supplementary requirements
- annexes, appendixes, and summary of changes
CASTI e-Instructor provides support for any questions about the online course content.
Practice problems throughout the course content are graded to allow self-assessment of student learning. Grades are reported at the completion of each lesson within the online content.
Certificate and Professional Development Hours
Participants will receive a digital CASTI Certificate of Completion with 5 Professional Development Hours (PDH) for completing all online lessons successfully.
Minimum System Requirements for Online Training with e-Instructor Support
- Broadband Internet connection
- Windows Vista (or higher)
- Mac and Android computers and tablets are not supported
- Google Chrome. (Microsoft Edge NOT supported.)
- Latest version of Adobe Reader
Note: Use of Adobe software may have additional system requirements (Please refer to the Adobe specifications provided with your Adobe software or visit the Adobe website at www.adobe.com for more information.)
Note: Please consult with your company IT department if you are unsure that your company computer meets the above requirements