CSA W178.2 Level 1
Welding Inspector Exam Preparation
Available Dates and Locations:
10010 104 Street NW
Edmonton AB T5J 0Z1 Canada
Book Accommodations with CASTI Room Rate
IMPORTANT: You must register for the CSA W178.2 Level 1 certification examination directly with the Canadian Welding Bureau.
To assist candidates achieve the CSA W178.2 Level 1 Welding Inspector Certification. It is also the objective of this course to prepare exam candidates to write the ASME B31.3 code endorsement exam as part of this certification.
Who Should Attend
Inspectors, NDE examiners, Alberta Welding Examiners, experienced welders, welding supervisors, quality control personnel, technologists, and engineers who want to obtain the CSA W178.2 Level 1 welding inspector certification.
Course Cost Savings
We provide over $1,000 in cost savings by providing you with a notebook to keep and having weld samples and toolkits available for use in class. Textbooks and toolkits are mandatory additional purchases with some of our competitors, but they are all included in our price.
CWB Recognition for Exam Exemption
This course is approved by the Canadian Welding Bureau to qualify exam candidates for exemption from the closed-book Welding Inspection exam of the CSA W178.2 Level 1 Welding Inspector Certification. To qualify for exemption, students must:
- complete and submit all e-learning lessons prior to the course start date and receive an average mark of 70% or more,
- attend all live session classroom training days, and
- receive a minimum mark of 70% on the Welding Inspection closed-book (2 hr) final exam on the last day of the live session classroom training.
Each participant will receive a CASTI certificate of completion with 48 Professional Development Hours (PDHs) for attending all 6 days of the classroom training. An additional 40 PDHs will be awarded for the completion of the e-learning lessons prior to the in-classroom start date.
CASTI Blended Learning
This course includes 13 days* of training as described below:
Estimated 5 Days* E-Learning (Access available Sept. 28 to Oct. 25, 2020)
- learn and practice code navigation
- study topics on the certification exams
- review examples and practice problems, and their detailed solutions, including references to corresponding paragraphs within exam code document(s)
- complete 3 practice exams about Basic Welding Inspection and Basic Welding Fundamentals
- practice problems and practice exam questions are submitted online and automatically graded
6 Days Live Session (Oct. 26-31, 2020)
- receive instructor-led training on exam topics
- solve practice problems
- follow instructor-led review of examples and practice problems, and their detailed solutions
- complete 3 practice exams for practical visual inspection and reporting using weld samples and inspection tools
Includes 1/2 Day Review Session and Exemption Exam
- participate in instructor-led review
- complete a Basic Welding Inspection and Basic Welding Fundamentals closed-book (2-hr) in-classroom final exam
- Students must achieve a minimum mark of 70% in the in-classroom final exam to qualify for exemption from the closed-book Welding Inspection exam of the CSA W178.2 Level 1 Welding Inspector Certification.
Estimated 2 Days* E-Learning Practice Exams (Access available Nov. 3, 2020 to Nov. 30, 2020)
- 3 practice exams for ASME B31.3 code endorsement
- 3 practice exams for CSA Standard W178.2
* Estimates are based on the average time needed by previous students to complete online training. Your personal skill and experience levels will determine the actual time required to complete this work. Previous students took between 16-30 hours (2-4 days) to complete the online lesson work.
The e-learning lessons are an integral part of this training course and must all be submitted with an average mark of 70% or more to receive course completion recognition and full professional development hours (PDH) credit.
Once practice exams and lessons are completed, students can reset them for further study and practice.
Click here for more information about the CASTI e-Learning Lessons
Click here for the terms and conditions and minimum system requirements.
Course Outline [+]
- Design Concepts
- Codes, Specifications, and Standards
- Base Metals
- Welding Consumables
- Welding Metallurgy
- Preparation of Joints
- Welding Procedures
- Side Effects
- Quality Assurance
- Basic System Function Concepts
- Basic Concepts of Quality Control
- Nondestructive Examination
- Other Examinations
- Nondestructive-testing Technicians
- Preparation for 2 hour exam* (75 multiple choice questions) (*see above requirements to qualify for exemption)
Practical Visual Inspection and Reporting
- Examination and assessment of test coupons for weld defects and acceptability, including but not limited to:
- Under Fill
- Incomplete Fusion
- prepare to view 5 sample welds and answer questions about them, 0.75 hour exam
CSA Standard W178.2
- General Requirements
- Level 1 Welding Inspector Requirements
- prepare for 15 multiple choice questions, 0.50 hour exam
Product Category and Standard/Code (Industrial Pipe: ASME B31.3 Process Piping)
- preparation for 45 multiple choice questions, 2.00 hour exam
Required Code Documents
All participants must have a copy of CSA Standard W178.2 and a copy of the ASME B31.3 code document for the code endorsement to complete this course. The ASME B31.3 code can be purchased from CASTI at a special discounted rate. A course notebook will be provided to all participants by CASTI.
- Compare CASTI to Competitors - CSA W178.2
- CASTI Inspector Career Path
- CSA W178.2 Guide to Assist Candidates Applying for Certification as Welding Inspectors - CWB Form 301e
- CSA W178.2 Application for Certification as Welding Inspector - CWB Form 450e
- CSA W178.2 Welding Inspector Visual Acuity Record - CWB Form 455e
- Practical Exam Instructions - CSA W178.2
- AWS Reciprocity Application Package