Steel Inclusions - Using ASTM Standards
Online Course with e-Instructor Support
This course is instructionally designed for all individuals who work with steels, work with ASTM steel standards, or those who simply want to learn more about steel inclusions.
Online lessons are available for six months from the date of registration.
Learning Outcomes [+]
Participants who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- identify and apply ASTM standard steel terminology for steel inclusions;
- describe the desulfurization process;
- recall the anisotropic behavior of steel inclusions;
- discuss techniques for controlling inclusion content;
- describe laminations and lamellar tearing;
- understand inclusion shape control; and
- recall that ASTM E45 is a standard test method for determining the inclusion content of steel.
Who Should Attend
This e-learning course is designed for inspectors, QA/QC personnel, engineers, tradespeople, and others working for plant owners, pressure equipment manufactures and repair organizations, engineering procurement and construction companies in oil and gas industries (oilfield, upgraders, refineries, etc.), automotive plants, chemical plants, petroleum refining, petrochemical plants, power plants, pulp and paper plants, fertilizer plants, and others.
Course Outline [+]
The following topics are covered in this course:
Introduction to Steel Inclusions
Desulfurization and Steel Inclusions
Anisotropic Behavior and Rolling Direction
- elongated inclusions (stringers)
- inclusion stringer requirements
Controlling Inclusion Content
- clean steel practice: microcleanliness
Laminations and Lamellar Tearing
- lamellar tearing and through-thickness ductility
Inclusion Shape Control
Determining Inclusion Content and Morphology in Steels using ASTM E45
- measuring inclusions treated with calcium for inclusion shape control
CASTI e-Instructor provides support for any questions about the online course content.
Practice problems throughout the course content are graded to allow self-assessment of student learning. Grades are reported at the completion of each lesson within the online content.
Certificate and Professional Development Hours
Participants will receive a CASTI Certificate of Completion with 5 Professional Development Hours (PDH) for completing all online lessons successfully.
Minimum System Requirements for Online Training with e-Instructor Support
- Broadband Internet connection
- Windows Vista (or higher)
- Mac and Android computers and tablets are not supported
- Google Chrome. (Microsoft Edge NOT supported.)
- Latest version of Adobe Reader
Note: Use of Adobe software may have additional system requirements (Please refer to the Adobe specifications provided with your Adobe software or visit the Adobe website at www.adobe.com for more information.)
Note: Please consult with your company IT department if you are unsure that your company computer meets the above requirements