Covers Welding Examiner Papers 1 and 3
In-Person Attendance at:
Holiday Inn Express
10010 104 Street NW
Edmonton AB T5J 0Z1 Canada
Book Accommodations with CASTI Room Rate
Remote Online Attendance:
participants attend remotely (from home or workplace) and interact with the live instructor through an online video meeting on the scheduled classroom training dates.
participants attend in-person (at the Holiday Inn Express location) and interact with the live instructor on the scheduled classroom training dates.
This course will introduce some common welding and cutting processes, AWS filler metal specifications, types of welding discontinuities and the related ASME Section V requirements for NDE, as well as the QA systems necessary for welder performance qualification as described in the Alberta Welding Examiner Syllabus for Papers #1 and #3. This course is also an excellent learning experience for people seeking general knowledge in welding and related NDE.
Who Should Attend
Inspectors, welders, welding supervisors, quality control personnel, technologists, and engineers involved with welding for new fabrication, repairs, maintenance, and inspection for pressure vessel or piping. This course is also designed to assist Alberta Welding Examiner Paper #1 and Paper #3, although it is not a prerequisite that you be an exam candidate.
CSA W47.1 Welding Engineers:
This course is approved by the Canadian Welding Bureau to qualify candidates for the knowledge requirements (Clause 6.4.3 a-d) of the CSA W47.1 Welding Engineer.
The welding engineer shall demonstrate knowledge of the fundamental properties of steel, welding fundamentals, welding metallurgy, welding procedures and practice, and welding codes and standards.
The above knowledge may be demonstrated by completing both CASTI courses listed below and receive a minimum mark of 70% on each final exam. These courses are approved by the Canadian Welding Bureau to satisfy the knowledge requirements of a CSA W47.1 Welding Engineer.
- 1. Welding Fundamentals, and
- 2. ASME Section IX - Welding Codes and Metallurgy
Each participant will receive a digital CASTI Certificate of Completion with 32 Professional Development Hours (PDHs) for attending all 4 days of the classroom training.
CASTI Learning Advantage (CLA)
This course includes training as described below:
4 Days In-classroom held Feb. 23-26, 2021
- instructor-led review and discussion of welding fundamentals
- review example problems and detailed solutions
- solve practice problems and review detailed solutions
- write practice exam
Estimated 2 Days* Post-classroom E-Learning available from Mar. 1, 2021
- Three practice exams (3.5 hours each) with answers and full solutions for Paper 1 of the Alberta Welding Examiner
- Three practice exams (3.5 hours each) with answers and full solutions for Paper 3 of the Alberta Welding Examiner
* Estimate based on the average time required by past students to complete online training. Your personal skill and experience levels will determine the actual time required to complete this work
Post-classroom online training lessons are available for sixty (60) days after the final day of the in-classroom training. This gives any candidate wanting to take the Welding Examiner Papers multiple examination opportunities at ABSA.
Course Outline [+]
Fundamentals of Weld Joints, Joint Design, and Welding Symbols
- Quality Management Systems
- Defining Welding, Weldability, and the Weldment
- Weld Test Positions, Weld Joint Types
- Weld Joint Design and Geometry
- Weld Joint Preparation (ASME B31.3)
- Tack Welding
- Introduction to Overlaying, Cladding, and Temper Bead Welding
- Introduction to Welding Symbols
Welding and Cutting Processes
- Welding Terms and Definitions
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW)
- Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW)
- Flux Cored Arc Welding (FCAW)
- Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW)
- Submerged Arc Welding (SAW)
- Oxygen Cutting (OC)
- Arc Cutting (AC)
- ASME Section II, Part C - Filler Metal Specifications
- Fundamentals of Welding Filler Metals and Tungsten Electrodes
- Carbon steel, alloy steel, and stainless steel filler metals for SMAW, GMAW (FCAW), GTAW, and SAW
Weld Discontinuities and ASME B31.3 Acceptance Criteria for Welds
- Welding Discontinuities, Flaws, Defects, and their ASME B31.3 Evaluation
- Dimensional Discontinuities: surface preparation, tolerances, weld joint mismatch, weld contour discontinuities, convexity, concavity, underfill and concave root surface, undercut, weld reinforcement and melt-through
- Structural Discontinuities: porosity, inclusions
- Fusion Discontinuities: incomplete fusion, incomplete joint penetration
- Surface Discontinuities: cracks in welds, crater cracks, underbead cracks, lamellar tearing and laminations
- Defective Metal Properties
Alberta Pressure Welders Regulation and Sample ABSA Quality Management System Manual
Welding Health and Safety
Weld Examination Workshop Using Steel Specimens and Inspection Tools
- Discontinuities Terminology - Differences Between Different Codes and Standards
- ASME Section IX - Bend Test Evaluation
- Weld Specimen Discontinuities and ASME B31.3 Evaluation
- Tack Welds in Plate, Pipe, and Flare Joints
- Fillet and Groove Welds in Plate and Pipe
Evening tutorials are mandatory for exam candidates planning to challenge Alberta Welding Examiner Papers 1 and 3, and are optional for all other attendees. Be prepared for 1 hour on Days 1 and 2, and for up to 3 hours on Day 3.
- Explanation of Alberta Welding Examiner Syllabus (AB-94) and its relation to a career path
- Completing WPQ AB-76A and AB-76B forms and PQ Cards
- Navigating ASME Section II, Part C
- Navigating ASME Section V
- Navigating ASME Section IX
- Navigating ASME B31.3
- Take-home assignments handed out
- Review of any previous take-home assignments
Required Code Documents
For participants not writing the Welding Examiner examinations, ASME code documents are not required. For those who are writing the Welding Examiner exams:
- All Welding Examiner Paper 1 exam candidates must bring the ASME Section II, Part C code document.
- All Welding Examiner Paper 3 exam candidates must bring the ASME Section V, Section IX, and B31.3 code documents.
These code documents can be purchased from CASTI. Exam document packages with the specific code editions and sections required for Paper #1 and Paper #3 are also available through CASTI.
- CSA W47.1 Fusion Welding of Steel Company Certification
- Information on ABSA Welding Examiner Certificate of Competency (ABSA Website)
- ABSA Welding Examiner Syllabus - Form AB-94 (PDF)