Getting Started: API 570 Piping Inspector Certification
API's Inspector Certification Programs are based on industry-developed standards that are recognized and used with confidence worldwide. These standards have also provided a uniform platform that serves as a model for many state and government regulations. These API programs emphasize professional credibility and process integrity. They enable inspectors to play an active role in improving industry health and safety; environmental performance; ensuring compliance and self-regulation; and strengthening management control and internal inspection capabilities.
Register for CASTI Training Programs
CASTI provides exam preparation training to help candidates pass the API 570 Piping Inspector Certification Exam. Our training courses include detailed lessons on topics covered in the exam, practice exam questions, step-by-step solutions, and e-instructor support. Please note that CASTI training programs are separate from the certification exams, which are administered by the American Petroleum Institute (API).
Visit the CASTI API 570 course page to review the course outline and register for the course.
Education and Experience Requirements
To take the API 570 examination, a candidate must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- BS or higher in engineering or technology: must have a minimum of 1 year experience in supervision or performance of inspection activities as described in API 570.
- 2-year Associate's degree or certificate in engineering or technology: must have a minimum of 2 years experience in design, fabrication, repair, operation, or inspection of pressure vessels, of which one year must be in supervision or performance of inspection activities as described in API 570.
- High school diploma or equivalent: must have a minimum of 3 years experience in design, fabrication, repair, operation, or inspection of pressure vessels, of which one year must be in supervision or performance of inspection activities as described in API 570.
- No formal education: must have a minimum of 5 or more years of experience in design, fabrication, repair, operation, or inspection of pressure vessels, of which one year must be in supervision or performance of inspection activities as described in API 570.
API 570 Piping Inspector Examination
IMPORTANT CHANGES TO API ICP EXAMS
API no longer accepts paper applications. You must enroll in API's new online portal for application submission. The examination is delivered computer-based-testing (CBT).
Additionally, there will no longer be one global exam day, but a 10-day testing window. This means each applicant will have a choice of when or where they want to test within the given window. Tests will be available at any of the Prometric computer testing centers around the world.
For more information about the API ICP exam structure, please visit: API Individual Certification Program (ICP)
The API 510 ICP examination is 6.5 hours long and consists of 170 multiple-choice questions divided into two parts:
- the 2.75 hour closed-book portion includes 110 multiple-choice questions.
- the 3.75-hour open-book portion includes 60 multiple-choice questions.
For a complete list of specific Code editions, addenda, and supplements of reference publications that are effective for your exam date, please refer to the API 570 Effectivity Sheet available on the API website.
- every 3 years, re-apply
- every 6 years, re-exam - online exam on latest edition of API 570
Exam Codes and CASTI Courses
All exam candidates will need the referenced Codes as they appear in the Effectivity sheet to study from and to complete the exam preparation course. These code documents can be purchased from CASTI.
For more information about CASTI's API 570 Exam Preparation courses, please visit:
This summary of educational requirements, examination and renewal, and recognition and reciprocity information is provided for your general overview. It is important that you read the complete documents containing these details as provided by API, ASME, CSA, AWS and CASTI.