SAMPLE JOB DESCRIPTION
The QA/QC Manager is responsible for ensuring that the quality management system (QMS) is fully implemented in an
organized and efficient manner. The QA/QC Manager is responsible for delegating and assigning tasks to QA/QC
Supervisors and working closely with related engineering, construction, fabrication, and repair departments.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and oversee project quality to ensure compliance to codes, standards, regulations, equipment specific
specifications, and QMS requirements.
- Advancing quality achievement and performance improvement throughout the organization.
- Managing the development and implementation of the QMS for planning, fabrication, inspection, documentation,
and operations activities including:
- Planning duties within the QA/QC staff and related work schedules;
- Establishing service standards for end users (i.e., internal department or external customer);
- Identifying and developing QA/QC personnel certification requirements and continuing education/training
- Providing leadership, mentorship, and direction of all QA/QC personnel.
- Taking full responsibility for hold-point releases once all QMS functions have been completed and the equipment
is ready to go into the next work stage.
- Developing and implementing risk-based inspection (RBI) activities and processes, using API 580 and other
similar programs to develop internal standard practices.
- Managing plant integrity through a failure analysis reporting system and following up on recommendations.
- Oversee supervision of all visual inspections and NDE, including 3rd party subcontractors.
- Managing inspection, NDE, and testing plans for new construction, repair work, and alterations.
- Identify and develop solutions to correct inspection function deficiencies.
- Manage construction processes, plant equipment, inspection and NDE personnel certification and QMS internal
Certification, Knowledge, and Experience Requirements
- Advanced ability to communicate effectively, both verbal and written, with all internal organization
departments, suppliers, subcontractors, and regulatory authorities.
- Strong coordination and organization skills, with strict emphasis on accuracy and attention to detail.
- 15+ years working experience and knowledge as a professional engineer within the pressure equipment industry,
although a structural steel background will be an added benefit.
- Advanced experience working within local jurisdictional and regulatory authorities.
- Must have a minimum of 10 years of experience in understanding and performing quality inspection pressure
equipment in a plant or a fabrication/repair organization.
- Must have API 510, 570, and 653 certifications, Alberta in-service inspector certification, CSA W178.2 Level 2
(Level 3 would be an asset); API 571 and 580 supplementary certifications and Alberta Welding Examiner
certification would be assets.
- Advance knowledge of qualifying ASME WPS and welder/welding operator qualifications, including local regulation
- Good verbal and written communication skills, including advanced knowledge of AWS A3.0 Welding Terms and
Definitions.Advanced knowledge of welding inspection and related NDE methods (MT, PT, UT, and RT), including ASME
Sec. V requirements.
- Experience performing corrosion monitoring and API 579-1/ASME FFS-1 fitness for service (FFS) analysis of
- Advanced knowledge of project specific documentation related to new equipment turnover for installation,
inspection, testing, repairs, and alterations.
- Advanced knowledge of safety programs.
- Supervision of safe storage and verification of all project related documentation, both paper documents and
- Experience with managing field engineering, inspection, and NDE related to all QA/QC functions.
- Experience in project planning, execution (construction realities), management, and communication with all
- Experience in shutdown planning and execution.
- Ability to develop and manage non-conformance, deficiencies, and reporting programs, including root cause
- Experience in developing and monitoring of project QA/QC budgets.
- Ability to ensure correct codes, standards, job specifications, project procedures, federal and provincial
regulations are properly identified, correctly specified in detail, and met or exceeded.
- Experience with the creation and administration of inspection planning, weld/welder tracking, RBI, FFS, and
- Must have the ability to work within strict deadlines and under pressure while maintaining a professional