SAMPLE JOB DESCRIPTION
Welding Inspector - CSA Level 1 or AWS CAWI
Reporting to the QA/QC Supervisor (CSA Level 2/AWS CWI), the welding inspector would be responsible for
implementing and maintaining quality programs and welding inspection duties by adhering to standard quality
operational policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Review the welding procedure specification and inspection requirements prior to welding.
- Prior to and during welding, verify that the specified base metal(s) and welding filler metal(s) are used.
- Verify that the specified joint preparation and fit-up used prior to welding.
- Monitoring and inspect all work performed by tackers and welders and/or welding operators.
- Inspect and evaluate welds according to specified inspection procedures, standards, codes, and drawings.
- Record welding inspection results that were witnessed and prepare associated report.
Certification, Knowledge, and Experience Requirements
- CSA W178.2 Level 1 or AWS CAWI with at least 1 year of experience in a manufacturing, repair, or operating
facility that involves welding.
- Good knowledge of welding processes, layout and fitting, base metals, filler metals, heat treatment, weld
testing, and fabrication planning is required.
- Good knowledge of the weldability of ASME P-No. 1 base metals (carbon steels) is required.
- Some knowledge the weldability of P-No. 3, 4, and 5A alloy steels and P-No. 8 stainless steels would be an
- Good knowledge of welding inspection and related NDE methods (MT, PT, UT, and RT), including ASME Sec. V, are
- CSA and ASME Code experience is required, where multiple code endorsement certifications would be an